Syracuse Kicks Off Its Postseason With a Dominant Win vs. Johns Hopkins, 25-8
By Adam Avin | @_adamavin
CitrusTV Women’s Lacrosse Reporter
When the season started, Syracuse came out on an absolute tear, but struggled in the ACC tournament. Three weeks removed from an ACC semifinals loss, it looks like the No. 2 Orange regrouped and are treating the NCAA tournament as a new season, because they had a field day today against Johns Hopkins and scored a season-high 25 goals.
Today’s second-round matchup was the first-ever meeting between the Blue Jays and Orange. Johns Hopkins was able to tally eight goals but was no match for an offensive explosion from the Tyrrell sisters. Meaghan and Emma Tyrrell combined for 17 points (13g, 4a). The rest of the ‘Cuse came to play with energy and outscored the Blue Jays in the second half 13-2.
While Syracuse had its way with Johns Hopkins today, other top teams didn’t have the same easy time:
- #1 Northwestern barely outlasted UMich, 8-7.
- #3 BC barely outlasted Penn, 9-7.
- #4 UNC was tied with Richmond heading into Q4, but won 16-12.
- #5 Denver barely outlasted UAlbany, 8-6.
- Not to mention, we already had an upset today with Notre Dame defeating #6 Florida 16-15. Florida is the only ranked team that did not advance to the “elite” eight.
- Plus, Stony Brook (who was Top-5 for many weeks this year), almost beat #8 Loyola today but fell short, 9-8.
Syracuse and No. 7 James Madison will face off in the third round on Thursday, May 18th, inside of the JMA Wireless Dome.